SSH-based monitors in Hardware Sentry KM, Monitoring Studio KM, or Monitoring Studio X may no longer work, either on a new installation, or after upgrading from an earlier version of the KM.
This is due to the KM’s included SSH client requiring an updated version of the Java Runtime Environment.
Identifying the issue
Errors such as this may be seen in the Collection Hub logs:
-----+ swSSHSendCommand(): ERROR (ERROR) while performing SSH query to 198.51.100.25: executionTime=0.033, exitStatus=:
| Cannot connect to 198.51.100.25: There was a problem while connecting to 198.51.100.25:22
These may be seen by Enabling Debug Logging, then checking the Collection Hub logs in the
$PATROL_HOME/log folder for error messages like those shown above.
The SSH client can be tested via command line, by executing one of the following commands on the PATROL Agent with the appropriate hostname, username, and password or keyfile specified:
/opt/bmc/Patrol3/jre64/bin/java -jar $PATROL_HOME/../bin/MS_HW_matsya-module-sshclient.jar -hostname:198.51.100.25 -username:user "echo Hello"
/opt/bmc/Patrol3/jre64/bin/java -jar $PATROL_HOME/../bin/MS_HW_matsya-module-sshclient.jar -hostname:198.51.100.25 -username:user -keyfile:/home/patrol/.ssh/id_rsa
If an incompatible version of Java is in use, the response to these queries will be similar to this:
MS_HW_matsya-module-sshclient.jar: Error: Failed to connect to 198.51.100.25 (Exception IOException: There was a problem while connecting to 198.51.100.25:22)
Install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8.0_241 or higher. This can be deployed through Truesight as part of a deployable package. See BMC’s documentation on Using OpenJDK with KM Repository.
- TrueSight Presentation Server Does Not Load After Installing Hardware Sentry TSPS component
- Forcing Detection of WMI-based Connectors when Required WMI Namespace is Unavailable
- Monitoring Studio X Unexpectedly Hangs or Consumes High CPU When Running a JRE Higher Than 8
- Installation or Upgrade Fails Due to Locked Out Jar Files
- java.sql.SQLException: I/O Error: Connection Reset When Monitoring Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2