When you are monitoring a system through a proxy (e.g: a Dell EMC Symmetrix system attached to a Unisphere for Vmax), you cannot know upfront which name will be displayed in the Devices page of TrueSight/Helix Operations Management. As explained in KB-1245, the serial numbers of your Symmetrix systems are generally used as the Device Names.
To make the identification of your devices easier, Storage Analyzer KM v1.6+ and Hardware Sentry KM v11.3.03+ allow you to specify a name (also known as MetaFQDN) for your storage system(s).
In this article, you will learn how to:
- configure a monitoring policy and force the KM to assign a specific device name (metaFQDN) to your storage system
- configure the
noDeviceCreationForStorageSystemsvariable to have the monitors attached to the endpoint.
Creating a monitoring policy for Storage Analyzer KM
Create a monitoring policy with the following settings:
- Monitoring Solution: Storage Analyzer
- Version: 1.6.00 (or higher)
In the Storage Configuration section, click Add to configure a new Endpoint:
Depending on the Storage Intelligence Adapter selected, the hardware monitoring feature may not be available. Refer to the Storage Intelligence Library Documentation for more information.
- Provide an Internal ID and the Hostname or IP address of the endpoint (In our example, Dell EMC Unisphere)
- Select an appropriate Storage Intelligence Adapter (In our example, Dell EMC VMAX (WBEM))
- (Optional) Check the Hardware Monitoring box to enable the hardware monitoring. This option requires the Hardware Sentry KM to be installed on the PATROL Agent.
- In the Associated Device FQDN in TrueSight, enter the name to be displayed in the TrueSight/Helix console.
- (Optional) Configure the Advanced Settings
- In the Policy main page, click the Configuration Variables tab
- Add the
/SENTRY/STORAGE/noDeviceCreationForStorageSystemsconfiguration variable and set its value to 1 as shown below:
Save the policy and make sure it is applied to your PATROL Agent.
Verifying the Device Name
Once the Storage Analyzer KM has successfully performed a complete discovery, the name previously entered in the Associated Device FQDN in TrueSight field will appear in the Devices page of TrueSight/Helix Operations Management.
All the monitors discovered by the Storage Analyzer KM and Hardware Sentry KM should now be available under this device (MyVmaxWBEM):
- How to Migrate Monitoring Studio X Policies from TrueSight to Helix Operations Management
- Handling PATROL Events Generated by Sentry KMs in BMC Helix Operations Manager
- Prevent Storage KMs from creating agent thresholds, when configured in CMA mode
- Identifying and Locating Devices in TrueSight
- Forcing the KM to Run in Classic Mode