Symmetrix arrays are automatically discovered when they are connected through HBA to the servers where EMC SMI-S provider (EMC Solutions Enabler) is installed. Because monitoring large storage arrays with a single SMI-S Provider may cause performance issues and affect the performance of the SMI-S provider itself, it is recommended to prevent some arrays from being automatically discovered.
To prevent EMC Symmetrix Arrays from being automatically discovered:
- Execute the following command to stop the EMC SMI-S provider service:
<install_dir>\ECIM\ECOM\bin\sm_service stop ecom.exe
- Execute the command ‘SYMCLI\bin>symcfg list’ to list the SymmIDs
- In a file, list the SymmID of the Symmetrix arrays that should not be auto-discovered
- Save this file as ‘symavoid’ in the SYMAPI/config directory
- Delete the host’s SYMAPI database (the symapi_db_bin file) for the changes to take effect. The database will be recreated the next time the Storage Agent for Symmetrix tries to discover arrays.
- Execute the following command to start the EMC SMI-S provider service:
<install_dir>\ECIM\ECOM\bin\sm_service start ecom.exe
- Perform a discovery for the changes to take effect.